Club History

The Christchurch Bridge Club, with a membership of 50, had its beginnings in a house purchased in 1952 at a cost of £3,800. In 1968, with a vastly increased membership, the Bridge Club built the first purpose designed Bridge club house in New Zealand, on the current site at 21 Nova Place, for a cost of $41,000. Today this is the largest club in New Zealand, with a membership of 950.

The Club House was completely destroyed during the 22nd February 2011 earthquake, but has since been rebuilt.

The new club home is a modern, architecturally designed facility in centrally located Nova Place, off Barbadoes Street. It offers good playing space that can be divided into three areas. In addition, there is a teaching room, administration office, dealing room, director’s platform, well-equipped kitchen and bar. The acoustics and air conditioning are excellent. Improved car-parking in front of the building is attractively landscaped with a well-planned traffic layout, and a facility for less mobile users to be dropped off under cover of the portico at the front door. The Club moved into the new building on 1 June 2013.

Areas of the Club House are available to hire for special events, conferences, seminars and meetings, accommodating up to 300 people.

 

Do you have a story about an episode of our past? Please let us know to add to this page.